Signing up to volunteer is easy! Please read through the Requirements and Positions, then contact your class liaison or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a date.
To provide the best care for our patients, we ask that volunteers be Howard University College of Medicine students in good academic standing who are self-motivated and able to conduct the tasks they are assigned in a professional manner. The students, professional staff, and administration of New Freedmen’s Clinic have a responsibility to treat patients with the utmost respect, while preserving patient privacy in accordance with the rules of HIPAA. Some of the policies that volunteers are expected to follow include:
- Attendance: All student doctors assigned to the evaluation and education of patients are required to be present on their assigned clinic days 30 minutes prior to opening of the clinic (i.e. 5:30pm)”
- Dress Code: All Student doctors must be dressed in appropriate hospital attire. Males must wear business attire with white coats. Females must wear conservative business attire with white coats. IDs must be properly displayed so student doctors can be easily identified.
- Preparation: On clinic day, student doctors not involved in evaluation/education may report to the Clinic 30 minutes prior to start of Clinic hours. Student doctors are expected to be acquainted with clinic policies and procedures and are expected to help in the preparation of patient rooms. Please remember that tardiness is extremely unprofessional and a pet peeve to many.
- Documentation: The notes from the clinical team should be signed by the Attending and the student who performed the physical exam. Once the patient chart is completed by the clinical team, it should be given to the Clinical Manager on duty so they may secure it in the proper location.
- Application: Relax! Treat this as an opportunity to APPLY what you know so far and brush up on the important skill of talking to patients. Although this isn’t a classroom, a lot of learning goes on here!
Please read the Volunteer Positions page to find out what the typical duties are.